Back to School Healthy Snack Tips for Kids
As the new school year is upon us so is the conundrum of trying to get your children to eat healthy snacks at school. Oftentimes school provide yummy, but not necessarily nutritious snacks. Below are some snacks suggested by eatright.org that taste delicious but will also provide your child with the nutrients they need for the day to keep them fuller and happier longer.
- Fruit paired with low-fat plain yogurt for dipping
- Frozen grapes (a personal favorite!)
- Dried fruit as long as the label doesn't list any additional ingredients such as sugar
- Cereal can be a great source of fiber which means your child will stay fuller longer. Consumer Reports recommends regular or Honey Nut Cheerios, Kix or Life for a low sugar nutritious option
- Apples dipped in peanut butter, non-fat yogurt, and honey mixture. Take one spoonful of peanut butter, two spoonfuls of yogurt and stir together. Add honey till the desired sweetness
- Low sugar varieties of applesauce can be a healthy snack. For a change mix in some cinnamon and add raisins or nuts!
- Homemade trail mix can also be a nutritional snack. Be sure to include granola, dried fruits (no sugar added), nuts of your choice, unsweetened coconut flakes, and mini pretzels
All of the healthy snack ideas above will leave your child feeling satisfied longer and keep them away from the junk food as they start off the new school year right!